Monday, February 4, 2008

The Book of Hosea

I'm up early today cuz i couldn't sleep. Well i guess you could say something happened. Something happened that made me take up my bible and start reading it. Don't need to get into details, but i can tell you what i read and discovered.

Remember how i said that my body wasn't what i wanted? well i found a verse that is somewhat comforting, though it doesn't have direct relevance to having the body of my dreams.

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. - 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV)

The thing i like about that verse is it tells me directly 'you are not your own; you were purchased at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.' And there goes my insecurities of not having a good body lol.

Anyways for those of you who dont know, the bible consists of 66 books; ranging from the beggining till the revelation. Out of these 66 books is one of the most quoted old-testament authors, Hosea. Hosea is considered a minor prophet only because his prophecy isn't as long as the major ones like Isaiah and Jeremiah, though his ministry wasn't 'minor'. He prophecied over 50 years and during the times of 4 kings of Israel.

In this book i happened to find a similar pattern (as my church was discussing) that follows in Hosea; God first punishes Israel, condems them etc, and then restores them again. Around three cycles this happened, but each time the punishment/restoration process was longer than the one before. I love this book because it shows how angry God can be.

"Because of their wickedness in Gilgal, I hated them there. Because of their sinful deeds, I will drive them out of my house. I will no longer love them; all their leaders are rebellious." - Hosea 9:15

I mean many times as u will see if u read, God curses them and 'disowns' them. "Hear this you priests! Pay attention you Israelites! Listen O royal house! This judgement is against you - many times God says something like this. But to me the best part of this book was about God's great love for Israel. Now we know how Israel sinned greatly against the Lord with all their idols and prostitution, but the mercy God shows on them is heart-melting to me. "It was I who taught Ephraim how to walk, taking them by the arms; but they did not realize it was I who healed them. I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love; I lifted the yoke from their neck and bent down to feed them." - I dunno about you, but this doesn't sound like a person who used to be angry. Seems to me that God was rather sad when he said that. But the most touching part to me is found slightly later in the passage, where God completely turns from his wrath and shows them compassion.

"How can i give you up, Ephraim? How can i hand you over, Israel? How can i treat you like Admah? How can i make you like Zeboiim? My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused. I will not carry out my fierce anger, nor will i turn and devastate Ephraim. For I am God, and not man- the Holy One among you. I will not come in wrath." - Hosea 11:8-9

I just cannot believe, sometimes how God can love us till that extent. To my limited human understanding, it seems like what the Israelites did to God was like crossing the limit after all God did for them. But then again, i am reminded that God is God, not man. 'For I am God, and not man - the Holy One among you'. He doesn't have our limitations and is capable of love greater than that of human comprehension. It really brings tears to my eyes whenever i think of how much He loves, because it is truly absolute love, that He gives.

Minor prophet also not bad ar? So many things we can learn from it. Signing of here.
aj

No comments: