Sunday, August 31, 2008

Happy Birthday~

I guess I aint gonna forget, my birthday's coming up. Yet, I ask myself, what does it mean to have a birthday? I guess there are many ways of looking at it.

One perspective would be the age thingy. A birthday means I've grown older. It means I'm ever closer to dying, that I've got more responsibilities, that the carefree life I once had is over and now I've gotta think about my future.

It also means that I've got more freedom now. I can do most of what I wanna do without worrying about the law or parents. It also means that Im supposedly more mature now. That I'm able to shape my life the way I want it to be now.

But that's just one perpective. If u ask me, another would be the purpose of having a birthday. Why DO people celebrate birthdays? Perhaps in one way it could be that we celebrate the miracle of life; that we have been alive all these years and look forward to more years of living. If that's the case, then why do people give presents and throw parties on birthdays? If we are celebrating life, then shouldn't we throw parties for each day we live then?

Perhaps we dont celebrate life then, rather just celebrate the past year and the upcoming one; celebrate the fact that we are growing up. If this is the case then, what is the purpose of giving presents? Maybe giving presents symbolises prosperity/wealth/blessing? I dunno about you, but when people give me presents I definitely feel blessed! ^^

But then there is also a more spititual sense if you look at it. You wonder to yourself, how all these years has passed, and how you have made it all worthwhile. Most people (upon self-reflection) start to change something about themselves, however small it may be. Like last year I learnt I ought to shut up sometimes and just let people do their thing. lol. How then, do we spend a meaningful birthday?

Take a look at my previous post. I guess that guy sure had a meaningful birthday! But are all of us to suddenly feel the obligation of compassion and start charitable organisations? I dont think all of us are capable of it.

In the end it boils down to how u live your life i guess. If money is an important part of your life, then it make sense to throw a glamorous party to show it all off. If you live a more trivial and spiritual life, then reflection and self-improvement seems to make sense too.

I still have no idea of how I'm gonna spend my birthday, and I guess I might spend a few days thinking about it.

As for presents, if anyone does get me one, do get me something useful to me reaching 18 (that means i want a condom! LOL)... I'm no longer a minor now!~

lol.

No comments: