Monday, February 16, 2009

One With Nature

There is something very calming about the serenity of the natural world. Though we live in an urban jungle of glossy-windows and high rise towers, every few hundred kilometers u get a nice spot where the struggles of modern life seem unable to manifest. Yes, i like going to parks - not because i like looking at trees or feeling the heat of the sun - but because of what all these can do for me. I've soon realized that it rejuvenates me.

Though it wasn't a park, i sat myself on a bench that was next to a playground. It was surrounded by grass and there was no shade in sight. I sat there and started to think. In our lives we are faced with many adversities and trials that test our will and purpose. Often the huge flame of motivation dies down in the face of these trials till it is only a small flame on a matchstick that can be blown out by a small gust of wind. You get what i'm saying don't you? I was just very demoralised that day. Stuff happened that made me feel down. And i sat there watching the kids scream their lungs out at the playground, listening to the gentle chirping of the birds and felt the intense heat of the sun beating against my scrawny body. It was like i was in a spa.

As thoughts flooded my brain and i simultaneously sorted out my emotions, the physical feelings of sitting there started to take its effect on me; i started to feel very peaceful and calm, till the point where it seemed like nothing in the world could bother me at that moment. Not suprising, after 45 minutes of sitting there and thinking, i felt remarkably better. Like fire, motivation needs but a single spark to start burning. I left the playground once again knowing what i wanted in my life.

I cant help but wonder. How did sitting at that place have such profound effects on me? It is said that God created the world perfect for man; that everything he needed was here on earth. Perhaps it is. Perhaps we were made to co-exist with the natural world and as it benefits from us, so do we benefit from it.

Perhaps nature is more worth fighting for afterall.

No comments: