Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What's right.

My head hung low when i walked through the canteen. You know how it is; when someone blocks your way you look up at that person. The dude who blocked me was a usual patron to the lower secondary "gangs" of the school. The poor fella had food all over him, and i merely assumed it had been poured over him. It was such a common sight that most people did not even bother to notice anymore, but I did. My pace slowed down even though my friends already went ahead of me. I gazed in both amazement and disgust at the poor fella and the way he was being treated and then it came to me - why isn't anyone doing anything about it?

Beyond all the bad remarks, the poor attitude, the distorted head, i know the boy had something more to offer; i know because he was my junior. I wondered as a senior member of the school, and as a ex-leader of his CCA if i should've intervened. I chose not to lest i create trouble for myself. I also knew as good as my friends were, they would not back me if i were to do something as bold and stupid as that. Hey come on, i'd prolly react the same way. I saw a bunch of teachers ahead and figured i'd tell them, but as i approached the teachers it seemed like the fight was dying down. It was merely the victim giving in to those sorry excuses for a gang. They hurled insults at him and shouted at him, but he just sat there, not even brushing off the food that was all over him. Only God know's what i felt.

I guess in society these days - especially that of a school environment - it is perfectly okay to just walk pass or over another human being in need. Wrong is the new right. What is society then, if it has not a single drop of humanity left? I really don't understand why it was okay just to walk pass and not be bothered about it, as so many others of my peers were doing. Is it really not a matter at all if it affect you? Ironic that one of our school's core values is COMPASSION.

Is there no one left to stand up to the evil-doers? No knight in shining armor who steals from the rich and gives to the poor? Are all these simply stuff that happens in fairy tales? Sometimes you can just look at the stuff around you, and ask, "what has the world come to...?"

why didn't I do anything either?

No comments: